Tuesday, April 15, 2008

God of War: Chains of Olympus Review

In March I wrote how I just got God of War: Chains of Olympus. I've since then completed the game and I have a review of the game hoping not to ruin it with spoilers I hope you enjoy it.

Review
God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (psp)


Over all rating:
4.5/5
Graphics: 4/5
Audio: 5/5
Control: 3.5/5
Game play: 4.5/5
Fun Factor: 5/5
Replay ability: 4/5

First off I’m a huge fan of the God Of War series, I must say that Ready At Dawn has done a great job at capturing the feel of the series, first established on the Playstation 2 console perfectly in on the PSP.

The Graphics are excellent they look as if they were pulled directly from the ps2 version, from the way that Kratos moves to the way the light shimmers off of the giant statues in Helios’ temple. I am very impressed at the way Ready at Dawn has gone about doing this title for the psp, makes me glade to have picked up the psp.

The Audio is equally just as good as the graphics and in some respects even better. I feel to get the full sense of the sound the player should really wear earphones as to not be disturbed by their surroundings, its really that good, especially when fighting a boss or enemies after learning a new ability.

The Controls are the only problem (so far) that I have with this title maybe it has to do with the way the psp was designed? But, I find it a bit cumbersome when trying to do multitude of attacks and having to hit the shoulder buttons while at the same time keep my thumbs on the thumb stick. My hands tend to get really sweaty and it becomes hard to keep a grip on the device while trying to beat the crap out of enemies and shadow beast (you’ll see when fighting the minions of Morpheus). I think it would be a lot easier if there were grips on the back of the psp for those instances.

However, with all that said Kratos still handles just as good as he does on the console and pulling off his god-like attacks on the psp against the hordes of enemies seems even more satisfying then they would have on the ps2. At times I find myself missing the combinations because I’m trying to look at the screen.

The Fun Factor is in full effect here especially during the boss battles when landing some pretty vicious attacks, I found myself screaming HOLY CRAP! And other exclamations after ripping off an enemy’s head or driving my blades down a shadow beast chest cavity! I’m still quite amazed at Ready at Dawn’s skills with this game and after hearing Cory Barlog had left Sony I hope Sony decides to give Ready at Dawn first dibs at doing God of War 3 for the PS3.

The Replay ability, I think will be worth the time and effort especially on a harder difficulty setting and with all the weapons the player gathered in their first go through.

No comments: